Monday, December 31, 2012

Good-bye 2012

Well, tonight we say good-bye to 2012 and hello to 2013.  As I have been in a reflective mood all day today, I thought I would share some of the memories of this past year.  Some good and some not so much!

In January, we lost my sweet uncle Lamar to ALS.  We made a trip to GA for his funeral and some family time with aunts, uncles, and cousins, my Mom and siblings.  It was a sad time but the celebration of Uncle Lamar's life and how he became a Christian, was amazing!  Thank you God he is in your loving arms now.

In March, our beautiful youngest daughter got a job back in Ohio and moved back home and her husband followed in April.  They now live in Grove City, OH and both commute 45 minutes in opposite directions to their jobs.  It is wonderful to have all of our chicks in close proximity to us again!

We didn't get much camping in this summer but the trips we did make were relaxing and wonderful. As always, we met new folks and had good conversations and fellowship with them. We found a new state park to visit and hope to go there again this summer of 2013. 

In June, my sweet Momma was diagnosed with colon cancer and had surgery for that.  I spent a week in GA caring for and loving on her and had a good time visiting with my sister-in-law, Marsha and visited with a cousin from Daddy's side that I don't get to see very often.

In September, we lost my sweet Aunt Maudeen.  She has always been like a second mother to me and I loved her dearly.  She suffered many falls and with dimentia in the end but, Praise God, she is whole now and not suffering.  I still miss her, but know I will see her again some day.

Also in September, my sweetheart and I, along with our dearest friends in the world, celebrated my birthday by walking the United States Air Force 10K.  It was grueling as we did not prepare well enough, but we will be better prepared for September 2013 when we do it again!  I cannot tell you the energy I had as we rounded the bend and I saw the finish line ahead of me.  I wanted to run across it but the spasms in my back prevented that (along with the smarter voice in my head).

In November, we spent Thanksgiving with all 4 of our kids by taking dinner to Grove City.  With Sarah in the Ag business and Matthew in retail, it's hard for them to get time off, so we decided we would still all have dinner together and we had a blast.  Our beautiful oldest daughter, Courtney and her handsome hubby Caleb rode up with us and I think we all had a great Thanksgiving.  The guys kept quoting a line from a movie that Terry and I were not clear on so when I asked what the line was from, they both answered "Tombstone!"  Terry and I had never seen the movie and they were all shocked so after a wonderful dinner and ever better desserts, we watched Tombstone.  It was pretty good, not one of my favorites though.

In December, we received a surprise visit from my Mom. Who came and spent a little over a week with us.  I so wish I could convince her to move back up here, but as they say "you can take the girl out of the south but you can never take the south out of the girl!"  I'm thankful she is healthy enough to drive herself up here from GA and that she is still young enough to have (hopefully) many years ahead of her.  It was a wonderful visit and I found myself wishing for my entire family to be here with us for Christmas.

We have finished off the year with a visit from our son-in-love's parents from GA over Christmas.  They, along with our youngest and her sweet hubby, were here a few days and we enjoyed spending time with them and teaching them all about snow blowers and the proper way to shovel snow!  Then, two days after Christmas, we were at Kettering Hospital where my beloved had his gallbladder removed along with hernia repair.  He is recouping wonderfully and is anxious to be well enough to return to work in the new year.

Well, there you have it.  The year in review as I see it.  God has taken me on a very hard personal journey in the last couple of months and I will be traveling it for another couple of months yet.  Lot's of visiting my past, dealing with things I buried deep (and would have loved to keep buried) and lots of forgiveness and grace.  It is a soul searching journey that I am growing from and hope to help others through in the future.  God is at work in my life and I can't wait to see what He brings me to and through in 2013.

Be safe this New Year's Eve and I pray God brings you many rich blessings in the coming year!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment